Skip to main content Skip to footer Go to Accessibility Page
Dunedin: (727) 734-5242 Spring Hill: (352) 686-8190
Virtual Consultation


Malocclusion, also known as abnormal or “bad” bite, is a common orthodontic issue for people across the country and the globe. A variety of abnormal bites exist. Having an abnormal bite can lead to many issues with routine activities such as sleeping, chewing, yawning, or talking.

Malocclusion is a term describing an irregularity in the way the upper and lower jaw align when chewing or biting. Having too many or too few teeth, abnormally sized jaws, thumb-sucking, or tongue-thrusting are all potential causes for malocclusions.

Listed below are different types of malocclusions:

Overbite—the extent to which the upper teeth overlap the bottom teeth when you are biting down. It is normal for teeth to slightly overlap.
Overjet—a measure of how far your upper teeth stick out.
Underbite—a condition in which your lower jaw and/or teeth jut outward beyond your upper jaw and/or teeth.
Deep Bite—an excessive overbite; a condition in which the upper teeth completely cover the lower teeth when you are biting down.
Open Bite—a condition in which your upper teeth do not touch your lower teeth at all. Open bite can be caused by thumb-sucking and other poor oral habits.
Crowding—when your upper and/or lower teeth overlap or are crowded
Spacing— when there is too much space between teeth.
Narrow Arches—when your lower and/or upper arches are too narrow
Midline Misalignment—the midlines of your lower and upper arches do not match
Crossbite—a condition in which teeth are located closer to the tongue or cheek than their corresponding upper or lower antagonists.

Most orthodontists use braces to correct malocclusions, but sometimes orthognathic surgery becomes necessary to treat more serious cases. Dr. Albert Fontaine, an overbite and overbite treatment provider, will work diligently with you to correct malocclusions. If surgery becomes necessary, Dr. Fontaine will maintain open communication with your oral or maxillofacial surgeon.